Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sew-Along - Get Ready!!!

Sweet Bee Buzzings
See post here.

Hello!! I know the sew-along doesn't start for another week, but I wanted to give you time to select your fabrics and get everything ready so you can hit the ground running. I have made up a separate materials/cutting list that you can print out and take shopping with you (or take to your stash). You can then use it to keep track of all the pieces you'll be cutting out.

You can find the materials/cutting list here
You can find the pattern for the larger bag here
You can find the pattern for the smaller bag here

Please let me know if there are any issues with the links - I've never done this before so I'm learning-as-I-go (which is what took me so long to get the pattern into an electronic format that would be easy on your printer and require no extra formatting on your part). When you print these make sure that 'None' is selected in the scaling section (or, as it says on my computer, 'Actual Size').

One other thing: good old Anonymous asked me for the dimensions of the finished bags. The small bag is 10 inches wide, 10 1/2 inches high, and 4 inches deep. The large bag is 12 inches wide, 12 1/2 inches high, and 4 inches deep. The measurements for the extras that need to be cut (straps, pockets, etc.) for BOTH sizes can be found here in the cutting list.

OK - now I'm going to yammer about some things that I hope you find helpful with this little endeavor. This bag is entirely doable - it looks like a lot, and zippers scare some people, but just take your time with it and all will be well. Pinky swear.

There are a few parts that are entirely optional. Don't want a zip pocket on the inside? Leave it out. Don't want a zipper closure? Don't do it. Or use a magnetic snap. Or a button and loop. I won't be showing you those methods, but if you'd like those then go for it. Purse feet are optional as well. I have never had a bag (store-bought or otherwise) where the purse feet were functional - but I really love the finishing touch they give to a bag. Plus they keep the gridded bag bottom nicely in place. Stick with what is at your comfort level. For the shoulder straps I've given a length of 32 - 36 inches. I'm using 32 inches for my bag, but if you like a longer strap you'll want to cut those longer. This part is entirely up to you and your bag-carrying preferences.

You may feel tempted to skip the interfacing and fleece, but I beg of you not to do this. These items are critical to a well-made, structured bag. I've learned this the hard way, trust me on this one. I prefer to use fusible interfacings as I am too lazy really dislike basting the pieces together and trying to keep everything straight. Fusibles make life so much easier, so I encourage you to get those if you can. I've been having a wicked time finding fusible fleece lately, so I'm glad I had a bit in my stash for this one.

Last thing: fabric choices. I love the look of quilting cottons and mixing up the patterns and colors:


But maybe you'd like one of these for when it gets cooler (or maybe it is cooler where you live - hello, Southern Hemisphere!). This looks good all done up in corduroy too:


I've also got some plaid wool I'm thinking of wrangling into one of these for the winter. Go with what you like and with what you'll feel comfortable carrying. You could also use a heavier weight home-decor fabric (this won't need to be interfaced if you do - it's plenty sturdy already).

OK, I'm thinking that's it for now (and enough). Get shopping, get snipping - meet you back here on the 13th, m'kay? Ta!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany
    Thank you! I can't wait to get started on this - I'm off to print off your patterns etc now
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh!!!! I'm excited!!! I just checked the supply list and the pattern for the small bag!!! I have to go shopping!!!! My stash is sssoooo poor!!! Can't wait:)
    Hope you have great Sunday!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting! I've never followed along with something like this, off to see what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be doing some "stash shopping" today! I told myself no more fabric purchases until I use up some of what I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi honey just to let you know you won my Giveaway! Please email me you address and I'll get your bits out to you. Kandipandi@tiscali.co.uk.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, it's cool here and I'm in the northern hemisphere. I'm in Scotland though, we don't really do summer lol Off to see how well the office printers print out your pattern pieces... (oops, did I say that? I totally meant how MY printer prints out the pattern pieces, yes, that's what I meant - ahem!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness! I just stumbled over from Running with Glitter and saw this! I am IN! I have been dying to learn how to make a handbag and here you are to teach me how! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this tote yesterday, the large one. I am very happy with it. You give good instructions. I am looking forward to your next sew-along. I posted pics in your Flicker group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this. Way too late for the sew along but I sure would like to make it. I love the one with the slanted pockets. Do you have the instructions for that one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would also like the instructions for the slanted pockets if available. These are beautiful bags. Thank you for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so bummed I missed the sew along! This pattern is adorable though, thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. if I missed the sew along how can I get the directions for putting the bag together

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed this too! Can I still get pattern and directions? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy--
      At the top of the page click on 'Sew Alongs' and scroll down. You'll see the links to the pattern, materials, and directions for each step.

      Delete
  14. Por favorrrrrr Preciso ,muito, do molde dessa bolsa creme com florezinhas e detalhes em verde.Se alguém tiver ...peço por gentileza enviar para atb2104@yahoo.com.br.Muito ,mas muito obrigada mesmo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The link to the materials/cutting list doesn't seem to be functioning. Can you help me receive this? Thank you Bethany. This is a great looking and functional bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan--
      I'm hoping you see this as your email address wasn't linked to your comment. Can you be more specific as to what the issue is? When I click on the link above the list opens right up for me.

      Delete
  16. I can't believe I've been saying I'll make this for 12 years, and still haven't done it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...